Weekend Afternoons of my Childhood

First of, I'm not even sure whether the title is grammatically correct. Someone let me know if it's ok? Because it sounds kinda off.

Moving on.

It's been about 10 yrs since I moved to Seremban. I never did blog much on this because I only started blogging 6 yrs after the move and most of my life revolved around Seremban by then. In fact, it's difficult sometimes to remember life in PJ before. I'm certainly not a city girl anymore. KL/PJ life kinda freaks me out now.

But one vivid memory that would always stay with me: my back door neighbour.

I have no idea who they are, I don't know their names, I don't know where they came from, I know nothing about them. Except that they had a dog and every Saturday and Sunday afternoon, someone would be playing his electric guitar.

Ever since we moved into that house (I was about four or six), the same thing would happen almost every weekend. It always was old rock-ish (or metal...I'm not too sure abt these genres) riffs. I never knew what songs he was playing because he never sang. I can't even hum the tunes to you now because it was so long ago. But I remember the feeling of those tunes he played; they had a chilled-out feel to them, despite it being on an electric guitar. It was strange to think of an electric guitar being relaxing, but that's how he played it. It was very....cool.

When I first heard him, I tried to peek over to see who it was. I scaled up the wall, stood on a chair, everything. It was a wasted effort. After a while, I gave up and just enjoyed the music. He would always play when the afternoons are blisteringly hot, so if I have no homework I'd go and sit in the backyard, sweating like crazy so I can get a clearer sound. When they're not around (for holidays or something), and I don't hear him play, the weekend goes by feeling incomplete. 

This video reminded me of that feeling. It's been awhile since I've thought of the mystery-guitar-playing-neighbour.



Er...yeah, that didn't have an electric guitar. Fine, this one does, and it does have that feel too. Somewhat. (I'm kinda nervous to put up Nirvana songs on my blog, they are quite a controversial band aren't they? Here's 45 seconds of them.)



(p.s what do you guys think of Nirvana? I've heard some of their songs and seen some of their lyrics...and it's quite...different. hmmm...anyway, back to the story)

So who knows? He could have been playing Radiohead, or Nirvana, or those weird rock/indie/metal bands we don't hear often on radio, especially doing that era of boybands. I think I can credit him as one of my music influences. Because of him, I'm a lot more open to "strange" music like indie bands or even heavy metal, music that wouldn't have been considered by a girl born when Britney Spears was at her prime, and everyone was swearing allegiance to Westlife or Backstreet Boys. Mind you, I have nothing against these singers. It's just that I might have been absorbed by pop music and not fully appreciate other genres if not for  the likes of him, and other artists I stumbled upon as well (I don't think I can say he was the only reason). I can credit him for making me interested in the guitar too, but I have a long way to go before I'm anywhere like him. I have been practicing I'm just too self conscious to do it when people are around.  



I think just before we packed up and left for Seremban, I went out to listen to him one last time. And quietly said my goodbye and thanks to him, for filling my weekends with music that I wouldn't have heard if not for him. 

Ever since then, hot weekend afternoons (like today), remind me of him and his guitar.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piglet cannot knot a knot

Battle of the bands