Short teaching stories Part 1

Story 1:

I had lent my student my copy of "Eldest", because he, in his words, "got obsessed with it". I didn't think too much of it.

He came back after holidays and said "Miss, I read it like 5 TIMES I CAN'T BELIEVE *spoiler spoiler* HAPPENED. And miss, I can't stop using 'ancient language' (like 'thee' 'thyself', etc)"

Ahaha kid, you're cute. You sound like me when I was your age (gosh I'm so old).

We discussed some parts of the book together and I had to stop myself from chatting too long to avoid showing favoritism.

I'm really grateful that I grew up in a reading environment. Having read widely, I have a small catalogue of books and authors in my head. It's easy now to figure out which book my student would like and recommend them quickly. I've been doing that for a number of my students who told me they didn't know what to read.

It's almost like prescribing medicine based on what their interests are.

Another student told me, "Miss, I don't know what to read."

"What do you like?"

"I don't know. I'm not into action or fantasy."

"How about this?" I picked up a John Green book. "I'm not sure if it's something you'd like, it's more emotional and can be sad at times..."

"That sounds like me, Miss."

LOL. "Well then. Give it a try."

The next day he told me he liked it, so far.

For now, it's probably the one good thing I can do as their teacher. At least I'm good at something.

This is also why I once seriously considered doing library science, but you can only find that course overseas sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piglet cannot knot a knot

Battle of the bands