Failure! failure!

"Failure! Failure!" cried David. "Every bar of my music cried, 'Failure'. It shrieked from the violins, blared from the trombones, thundered from the drums. It was written in all the faces -....What of my soul? False to its own music, its own mission, it's own dream. That is what I mean by failure, Vera.......oh how my music mocked me! And you, so fearless, so high above all that has come to pass, how you must despise me, despise me!"

~The Melting Pot, Israel Zangwill
(retold from the play by permission of The Macmillan Company)

Read this short story a long time ago. But the way he described failure...amazing. Everytime I fail in something, these lines start ringing in my ears.

BTW, this story is awesome too. If you can find it, read it.

Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piglet cannot knot a knot

2012 UCSD Sixth College Wesley Chan Commencement Address